Focused 100% On Education Law Matters

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Blog
  4.  » Got caught altering an assignment, exam, or other university document? Tips from an attorney.

Got caught altering an assignment, exam, or other university document? Tips from an attorney.

On Behalf of | Jul 17, 2018

Getting good grades in college is important for many students. It impacts what graduate and doctoral programs may be available to you. With this pressure, students may make bad decisions. Let’s say you receive a bad grade on an assignment or test and then decide to change your answers and submit it for a re-grade. Suddenly, you get an email from your professor asking you to meet. You’ve been caught. What should you do? Read on for the answer from an attorney for college students.

I am being charged with alteration. What does that mean?

The specific definition of altering university documents depends on your university. Some colleges classify this as cheating while others have alteration outlined in a separate section of the academic integrity policy. Some examples of altering university documents are:

  • Altering a previously graded assignment, test, or exam for gaining points
  • Altering a previously graded assignment, test, or exam as grounds for a grade appeal
  • Forging signatures on official documents like time sheets, sign-logs, or letters

Can my university tell if I altered a university document?

Maybe. When it comes to test regrading, some universities make it a habit to keep records of the exams or assignments prior to handing them back. Getting caught altering university records can cause an academic integrity code violation to be filed against you.

What happens if I am caught altering an assignment, test, or other university document?

This depends on your universities procedure for academic integrity violations. Colleges often have different processes when a student is found in violation. Check your student handbook for the process if you are charged with alteration.

What can happen if I am found guilty of altering college records?

You could be sanctioned. The punishment depends on how severe your honor code violation is and if you had any other academic integrity violations. Sanctions can range from a warning up to expulsion from your university.

Can I appeal my disciplinary sanction for alteration?

Yes. A student disciplinary appeal is a student’s last chance at fighting a sanction. The student appeal is usually a written submission to the dean or provost of the university. I write student appeals using my extensive background as an appellate attorney and specialized knowledge of the university disciplinary process.

Can you help me defend against the charge of altering university records?

Yes. I offer student defense advising services throughout the United States. Using my nearly twenty years as an attorney combined with a specialized knowledge of the academic integrity process, I assist students to gain successful outcomes.

Call today for a free consultation. 855-338-5299

Richard Asselta is an award-winning student defense lawyer who offers academic advising services throughout the United States. He is experienced in defending all types of college disciplinary issues, including falsification. Click here to read what clients are saying about Richard Asselta on AVVO, a lawyer review website.